I have read the news reports concerning the Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC). They fail to convey the full horror of the report by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). the Boston Globe article by Scott Allan probably provides the most balanced report.
Having read through it all I do not know what is more shocking.
- JRC using cruel and unnatural punishments on vulnerable young people with neurological and/or psychological problems.
- New York (among others) sending their vulnerable young people to be tortured at JRC.
- The NYSED inspectors objecting in part because staff at JRC did not have the requisite qualifications to torture vulnerable young people with neurological and/or psychological problems.
- The fact that this is an acceptable form of "treatment."
- That there are parents who defend the JRC.
I shall return to these points in a more detailed post. For now, I just had to say something.